The following section consists of publications from organizations and institutes. The resources have been categorized under the following headings: Definitions/Terminology, Introductory Materials, Training Materials, Being Trans*-Inclusive in Research, Clinical Practice Guidelines, Social Service Guidelines, Issues Affecting Trans* Youth, and Resources for Trans* Patients.
- Gender Pronouns. University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Resource Center
- A Guide for Understanding, Supporting, and Affirming LGBTQI2-S Children, Youth, and Families. [PDF] Poirier, J. M., Fisher, S. K., Hunt, R. A., & Bearse, M. (2013). Washington, DC: American Institutes for Research. Retrieved from: http://www.air.org/resource/guide-supports-lgbtqi2-s-children-youth-and-families
- Taking Charge: A Handbook for Health Care & Social Service Providers Working with Trans People. Action Santé Travesties et Transsexuel(le)s du Québec (ASTTeQ). (March 2011). Available for order at: http://santetranshealth.org
- Transgender Awareness Week: Daily Issues, Transitioning, Health Disparities, and Global Diversity. OUTbreak - University of Michigan School of Public Health. (2013)
- Understanding Transgender: Frequently Asked Questions About Transgender People. [PDF] National Center for Transgender Equality. (May 2009). Retrieved from: http://transequality.org/
A Provider’s Introduction to Substance Abuse Treatment for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Individuals. [PDF] (2012). Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration [SAMHSA]. Retrieved from: http://store.samhsa.gov/product/A-Provider-s-Introduction-to-Substance-Abuse-Treatment-for-Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-and-Transgender-Individuals/SMA12-4104
Archived webinars from Children’s Hospital Los Angeles Center for Strengthening Youth Prevention Paradigms. Available at: https://www.chla.org/webinars
Archived webinars are available at no cost. Available relevant webinars include:
- Responding to the Needs of Trans Youth through Group Therapy. (May 1, 2013)
- Affirming Mental Health Care: Promoting the Well-Being of Transgender Youth. (May 1, 2013)
- Treating Transgender Youth: Basics of Cross-Sex Hormones. (Oct. 10, 2013)
- Suppression of Puberty in Peri-Pubertal Transgender Youth. (June 27, 2012)
- Gender Sensitive Medical Care for Transgender Adolescents. (Jan. 19, 2012)
- Caring for LGBTQ Youth. [PDF] Training module from the Fenway Institute’s National LGBT Health Education Center. Retrieved from: https://www.lgbthealtheducation.org/lgbt-education/learning-modules/
- Understanding the T in LGBT: A Role for Clinicians. [PDF] Training module from the Fenway Institute’s National LGBT Health Education Center. Retrieved from: http://www.lgbthealtheducation.org/training/learning-modules/
- Ending HIV Among MSM and Transgender People: A Critical Time for Innovation in Primary Care. [PDF (Part 1)] [PDF (Part 3)] Fenway Institute’s National LGBT Health Education Center. (2013). Retrieved from: http://www.lgbthealtheducation.org/training/online-courses/endinghiv_neaetc/.
Being Trans*-Inclusive in Research
- Summary Report – Rectal Microbicides for HIV Prevention: A Transgender Update and Consultation. [PDF] Microbicide Trials Network. (May 19, 2013). Meeting notes, San Francisco, CA
Clinical Practice Guidelines
WPATH Standards of Care (The World Professional Association for Transgender Health: Standards of Care (SOC) for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People)
Promoting Health Equality and Nondiscrimination for Transgender and Gender-Diverse Youth, by The Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine. Published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, June 2020.
Ensuring Comprehensive Care and Support for Transgender and Gender-Diverse Children and Adolescents, from the American Academy of Pediatrics. Published in the journal Pediatrics, October 2018. American Academy of Pediatrics.
Issues Affecting Trans* Youth
- Beyond 4 Walls and a Roof: Addressing Homelessness Among Transgender Youth. [PDF] Hussey, H. (2015). Washington, DC: Center for American Progress