As of 6/1/2022, this is a legacy research website and is not actively curated. Please check back in the first quarter of 2023 when the new cycle of the ATN is launched.
The following section consists of publications from organizations and institutes. The resources have been categorized under the following headings: Definitions/Terminology, Introductory Materials, Training Materials, Being Trans*-Inclusive in Research, Clinical Practice Guidelines, Social Service Guidelines, Issues Affecting Trans* Youth, and Resources for Trans* Patients.
- Gender Pronouns. University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Resource Center
- A Guide for Understanding, Supporting, and Affirming LGBTQI2-S Children, Youth, and Families. [PDF] Poirier, J. M., Fisher, S. K., Hunt, R. A., & Bearse, M. (2013). Washington, DC: American Institutes for Research. Retrieved from: http://www.air.org/resource/guide-supports-lgbtqi2-s-children-youth-and-families
- Taking Charge: A Handbook for Health Care & Social Service Providers Working with Trans People. Action Santé Travesties et Transsexuel(le)s du Québec (ASTTeQ). (March 2011). Available for order at: http://santetranshealth.org
- Transgender Awareness Week: Daily Issues, Transitioning, Health Disparities, and Global Diversity. OUTbreak - University of Michigan School of Public Health. (2013)
- Understanding Transgender: Frequently Asked Questions About Transgender People. [PDF] National Center for Transgender Equality. (May 2009). Retrieved from: http://transequality.org/
A Provider’s Introduction to Substance Abuse Treatment for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Individuals. [PDF] (2012). Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration [SAMHSA]. Retrieved from: http://store.samhsa.gov/product/A-Provider-s-Introduction-to-Substance-Abuse-Treatment-for-Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-and-Transgender-Individuals/SMA12-4104
Archived webinars from Children’s Hospital Los Angeles Center for Strengthening Youth Prevention Paradigms. Available at: https://www.chla.org/webinars
Archived webinars are available at no cost. Available relevant webinars include:
- Responding to the Needs of Trans Youth through Group Therapy. (May 1, 2013)
- Affirming Mental Health Care: Promoting the Well-Being of Transgender Youth. (May 1, 2013)
- Treating Transgender Youth: Basics of Cross-Sex Hormones. (Oct. 10, 2013)
- Suppression of Puberty in Peri-Pubertal Transgender Youth. (June 27, 2012)
- Gender Sensitive Medical Care for Transgender Adolescents. (Jan. 19, 2012)
- Caring for LGBTQ Youth. [PDF] Training module from the Fenway Institute’s National LGBT Health Education Center. Retrieved from: https://www.lgbthealtheducation.org/lgbt-education/learning-modules/
- Understanding the T in LGBT: A Role for Clinicians. [PDF] Training module from the Fenway Institute’s National LGBT Health Education Center. Retrieved from: http://www.lgbthealtheducation.org/training/learning-modules/
- Ending HIV Among MSM and Transgender People: A Critical Time for Innovation in Primary Care. [PDF (Part 1)] [PDF (Part 3)] Fenway Institute’s National LGBT Health Education Center. (2013). Retrieved from: http://www.lgbthealtheducation.org/training/online-courses/endinghiv_neaetc/.
Being Trans*-Inclusive in Research
- Summary Report – Rectal Microbicides for HIV Prevention: A Transgender Update and Consultation. [PDF] Microbicide Trials Network. (May 19, 2013). Meeting notes, San Francisco, CA
Clinical Practice Guidelines
WPATH Standards of Care (The World Professional Association for Transgender Health: Standards of Care (SOC) for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People)
Guidelines for the Primary and Gender-Affirming Care of Transgender and Gender Nonbinary People
Promoting Health Equality and Nondiscrimination for Transgender and Gender-Diverse Youth, by The Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine. Published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, June 2020.
Ensuring Comprehensive Care and Support for Transgender and Gender-Diverse Children and Adolescents, from the American Academy of Pediatrics. Published in the journal Pediatrics, October 2018. American Academy of Pediatrics.
Issues Affecting Trans* Youth
- Beyond 4 Walls and a Roof: Addressing Homelessness Among Transgender Youth. [PDF] Hussey, H. (2015). Washington, DC: Center for American Progress